Short stop of two days in Kuala Lumpur, capital of Malaysia. Not much time for insights, but a few things certainly catch the eye:
- "Malaysia - truly Asia", says the official tourism slogan of Malaysia. I don't think it is easy to abstract the whole of Asia, nor it is ethical to claim what is true (hence, what is not) without listening to other parties. It's interesting what governments of India, China, Southeast and other Asian countries do think about the slogan.
- If somebody woke me up while going on a highway somewhere around Kuala Lumpur, I'd definitely say I'm in Germany. Wide, good, four or six laned roads.
- Big part of Malays are Muslim - not such a common sight in these parts of the world (apart from Indonesia).
- In my opinion, real estate prices in Kuala Lumpur are way below from what it will be in 5 years. Asking price for a simple apartment is around 200 000 MYR, while it costs approximately 1000 - 2000 MYR per month to rent it.
- The overwhelming stench in some streets of Indian / Chinese part of town is as impressive, as the size of rats and cockroaches roaming those streets during night time.
- If you add up the speed of internet in Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand, it would maybe reach 1/10th of that in Malaysia.